Photo Courtesy of Vows with Views
Our very first Blog Post!! Here we go! I like to write how I talk, so just imagine you and I are friends, casually getting together to talk about your Wedding with some refreshing cocktails in hand and pupus (Hawaiian for appetizers) getting ready to be devoured on the coffee table in front of us. Let's talk Kauai Wedding!
So you're thinking about hosting your Wedding on the beautiful Garden Isle (aka Kauai)! Let me tell you, there's nothing like this island! If you've never been here before, here are some quick facts about Kauai:
- It's the oldest island among the Hawaiian Island chain.
- It feels like "authentic" Hawaii with it's small town vibe, extremely kind people, lush mountain views, minty blue ocean and light, soft winds.
- If you and your fiance love the outdoors, Kauai is for you! Most Kauai Wedding Venues are outdoor spaces. Very rarely do people come to Kauai to host an indoor event. Why would you do that to yourself?
- Kauai is home to about 70,000 residents with about 30,000 visitors daily. That's a lot of visitors folks!
Are we a destination wedding location? Absolutely!
- Although it rains almost daily on Kauai, the "rainy" season is considered November-March.
- Each side of the island has it's own unique micro-climate which means some sides are more
rainy than others, while other sides are more dry. North Shore = wet. South Shore & West Side = dry.
- Most Weddings are destination, so the average guest count for Kauai Destination Weddings are around 40-100 guests.
- There are not that many Kauai Wedding Venues to choose from, so do your research and book early!!
What makes Kauai Weddings so different from Mainland Weddings? These 3 Things:
1. WEATHER -
The most talked about subject when planning to host your Wedding on Kauai would be Weather. We're a Tropical Climate. It's called the Garden Isle because it rains almost everyday! That's why it's so lush and beautiful here! During the "non-rainy" months (April-October), we do get showers mostly evening and early morning. And if it does shower, we call it a "passing shower." It will rain for only a few seconds or minutes and then that shower will disappear as quickly as it came.
My best advice is DO NOT look at the weather app the week of your Wedding. The weather changes DAILY and it won't do you any good to stress about Mother Nature when you can't control her. It's good to have a back up plan, but remember positive brings positive, so think SUNNY!!
Quick Tip: Kauai normally has trade winds, which are light winds that you WANT so that the humidity level doesn't turn your hair into a rat's nest! Keep in mind, the winds do pick up at times, so if you have place cards or some sort of welcome display that has loose items, make sure to weigh them down with something or adhere them to a sign so that if the winds pick up, they're not blowing everywhere!
2. KAUAI WEDDING VENUES -
Most Kauai Wedding Venues, as I mentioned, are Outdoor Spaces. Whether you have a tented reception or a Lanai (aka Outdoor Covered Patio) to host your celebration, you want to feel like you and your guests are outdoors. It's SO beautiful here, you don't want people to fly here and be stuck in an enclosed space! Most of the wedding venues on Kauai emphasize their location, so whether they are located in a serene, garden setting or a lush mountain backdrop, your surroundings will always be a part of your tropical wedding aesthetic.
3. MOST KAUAI WEDDINGS ARE DESTINATION WEDDINGS -
From my experience alone, I would say 98% of all of our Weddings are from the mainland. When booking your accommodations, activities, venues, keep in mind, the majority of your guests most likely haven't even been here yet. This may be the very first time they are coming to Hawaii! Try to incorporate as much of that Hawaiian culture and flavor as you can with your meals, drinks, decor and overall vibe! They are coming here to celebrate your LOVE, but will most likely make it a vacation as well! Give them that Mai Tai with the umbrella they've been imagining for a year! Share the fresh Ahi Poke and Tako (fresh octopus) from the local plate lunch spot you love! Drive them up to Waimea Canyon to experience the breath taking views they've only experienced online! Have an all day Beach Day!
Mainland Weddings can be so "formal" and serious, where Kauai is the island to be married so you can relax, enjoy each other and enjoy the outdoors!